As a swimming pool Safety Consultant, I can’t tell you how many times pool owners have thrown their hands up in frustration with their bubble cover they’ve used to generate and retain heat for their pool water. They tire of having to drag the bubble cover on and off the pool every time they want to use it.
While solar bubble covers do provide some heat generation and retention for pools, those covers have some important limitations including:
- They are very unsafe for children and pets.
- The single biggest danger of a bubble cover is becoming enveloped by the cover if something or someone falls onto it. These covers are not attached to the pool deck or the pool walls so if something falls onto the cover, it will press up against them, which is obviously a dangerous situation, especially for children or pets.
- They only last 1 to 2 years but 1 year is more common.
- The biggest problem with this type of cover is the bubbles popping and separating from the cover due to the pool chemicals, falling to the pool floor, and getting sucked up by pool equipment, which can ruin your pool equipment, especially the pump but even the heater.
- They are inconvenient and difficult to use.
- Bubble covers are removed and placed in a completely manual process. When removing them, you either have to work very hard to keep debris from falling from the top of the cover into the pool or just accept the fact that you will have to skim the water when you remove it. Even when properly installed, since the cover is cut to the shape of the pool, these covers do NOT keep debris out of the pool.
- They act like a greenhouse for pool algae.
- Since bubble covers are clear, sunlight passes through to heat the pool water. Unfortunately it also creates the perfect conditions for algae to grow when pool chemicals are not perfectly maintained.
In contrast, upgrading to one of our automatic pool cover systems would enable you to open and close your pool normally in under a minute with the touch of a button. There is no more convenient way to get maximum benefits for your pool than with one of our automatic pool covers.
The largest benefit you will receive from one of our pool covers is safety for your family, friends and pets alike. Supervision is always the best way to keep your pool safe, but in those moments when that is not possible having one of our safety pool covers in place will give you the peace of mind that everyone is safe from the dangers of open water. Our pool covers have been thoroughly tested and meet all requirements necessary to qualify as a primary barrier between the residence and pool.